Friday 15 August 2014

Trevor Telford - One of Our Backyard Feast From Farm Featured Chefs



    Just past the Queensborough Road turn, just over the Black River there lies a tranquil oasis of natural beauty and wonder, it is The Black River Retreat.  There is a blissful quiet, interrupted by the soft  conversing of birds.  It is a green, wonderland tucked away from the crazy world.   It is amazing to think that Tweed has this wondrous gem tucked away, and most of us do not know of it's existence, well we "were" ignorant of it, but that will all change September 28!


    Your opportunity to be wowed by local food products is quickly approaching.  On Sunday, September 28 four chefs will work their culinary magic on locally produced foods.  Each chef will be paired with a local farmer to create a culinary masterpiece.  The beauty of this is that you do not have to dress in your best clothes, nor do you have to go to a fancy restaurant, it will all take place right here in Tweed at the pavilion.  Even better than the fact that this amazing event will be held in Tweed, tickets are only $10.00!  For $10.00 you will get to taste locally produced food, artfully prepared by a professional chef.
    In the weeks leading up to this food lovers paradise I will be introducing you to many of the key players in this gastronomic delight.  Before the day of the event, you will get to know the hardworking farmers taking part, and the talented chefs.  If I have done my job well, when you arrive mouth already salivating in preparation, you will feel like you personally know them all, and hopefully that will add to your enjoyment of this event.


    Earlier this week I visited Trevor Telford at his home/ business, The Black River Retreat just off of highway 7, minutes north of Tweed.  I drove up to this log home nestled among the trees.  Each step I took closer to the front door, I could feel my stress falling behind and sitting patiently waiting for me in the car.  I was greeted with a smile, and welcomed into his tranquility.  Trevor gave me a quick tour of his retreat, and I found myself speechless (which does not happen much, just ask anyone who knows me).  The best I could muster for words was "wow".  He has somehow managed to bring the outdoors in.  I found myself wishing that I lived farther away so that I could justify booking a mini vacation for my husband and I.


    Like many of us, Trevor has found himself in many incarnations.  He was a contractor living in the city, but he wanted something different.  He had a passion for cooking, and so honed his culinary skills to become what he ultimately desired to be.  In 2011 he purchased what is now The Black River Retreat, and began to strip it down and make it his own.  The workmanship is amazing, and it is obviously a labour of love.  He had a dream and then set forth to create it.  I think that my husband may be sad that I visited Trevor, because now I have all of these grand ideas that Trevor has conceived for his workspace, that I would like to incorporate into my own kitchen.  


    For those of you, who like myself until recently have been ignorant to the existence of The Black River Retreat,  let me share with you what it is.  It is primarily a couples resort.  Couples stay in private, stunning accommodations and have complete access to the property.  There is a hot tub, kayaking and Muskoka chairs set up at different vantages of the retreat.  The retreat sits right along the edge of the Black River (thus the name), and offers a stunning view of the river in all of its native glory.  The property in and of itself is gorgeous, but the best part is that Trevor creates meals for his guests.  For breakfast and dinner, guests are treated to amazing meals, never having to leave their accommodations.  Imagine sitting and sunning yourself out on the patio, or for the adventurous souls coming back from an exhilarating kayak trip to enter your accommodations and be greeted to the aroma of your dinner being cooked for you!  This is what the Black River Retreat is, it is an escape from the ordinary.
    In speaking to Trevor about his passion for cooking, I found myself getting more and more excited about "Our Backyard From Farmer To Feast".  As he spoke of creating dishes, and actually "creating", not just pouring from a jar or cooking from frozen, his face was alight with passionate joy.  It was nice to talk to a kindred spirit.  He spoke about having to accommodate for dietary restrictions, and how exciting it was to rethink food, to create something that is both delicious and yet fit into a guest's dietary necessities.  I am so looking forward to whatever dish he decides to make for the feast, and more excited to taste this dish.  
    When it was time for me to leave, I found that I did not want to.  I wanted to stay at The Black River Resort, and soak in it's tranquility.  Reluctantly I pulled myself away.   As I drove home, I found my brain was a whirl with possibilities.  I was alive with creative energy.  I began to think about that huge crisp cabbage that I had purchased at the Campbellford Farmer's market just days before.  I would cook cabbage rolls, with thinly sliced carrots that I had also purchased at the farmer's market.  I would create a honey butter glaze for those carrots.  I would need to stop at Walkers and pick up some fresh from the ground potatoes to go with my feast.  By the time I arrived home I had dinner planned and was beyond excited to begin it's preparation.  I was inspired! 
    The whole concept for the Our Backyard From Farm to Feast is about getting inspired, getting excited about the food that is grown in our own backyard.  It's about tasting new food, and wanting more.  Becoming inspired by those professional chefs and what they have created.  It's about strolling around the farmers market that will be there, and getting excited about your food.  Once you have tasted "fresh food" you will never want to go back to anything else!  There is a difference in taste between the beef you buy in the big box super market and the beef that you buy directly from the farmer that has raised it (the meat from the farmer is vastly superior in its taste).  There is a massive difference in taste from the produce that you purchase from the big box grocery store and the produce that you purchase from your local farmer who has painstakingly grown it.  Hopefully when you have come to our feast, and your stomaches will be full and your too minds will be full of possibilities.  Hopefully you will begin to think about what you are eating and where it came from, I know I have.

For more information about Trevor visit 

For more information about Our Backyard Feast From Farm or for tickets visit
or

No comments:

Post a Comment